In case anyone wonders why things aren't moving anymore around here…
It has nothing. At. All. To do. With lack of productivity. *whistles*
No, really, the past two weeks have been uncommonly productive by my standards, because during my holiday I managed to squeeze out:
- One (1) B5 fanvid, slapped together in 48 obsessive hours, followed by two weeks of tweaking which has raised my respect for any and all vidders in the universe to dizzying heights.
- Two (2) B5 pencil portraits (care to guess?) which aren’t too bad, if I say so myself.
- Two (2) nearly finished B5 fics, one of which has passed the 6000-word mark and so officially my longest one ever. Keeping in mind I write at a measly speed of 1 word a minute (and that’s not counting the second round of agonizing over said word, once I’ve put more than a hundred of them together), this is an achievement. *g*
- One (1) hour-long New Zealand trip DVD montage, complete with fancy menu including chapter selection!
- One (1) photo montage of the Andalucia trip we took last spring.
Now, one would say at least the first three of these are amply sufficient to bring some life into this lj, but.
But. But. The problems are the following:
- One fic is meant for matrithon, the other for babylon5_love, which means the posting dates are fixed. AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER. *ngh* Also, note the designation “nearly finished” in the fic descriptions: for some reason, it seems I am completely incapable of starting with another fic as long as these two have as little as a single paragraph missing. And hell, that paragraph is taking forever. So, um… *twiddles thumbs and waits for muse to drop out of sky*
- I committed the folly of requesting another posting day at babylon5_love, for the vid. ETA – two weeks and counting. *twiddles some more*
- That leaves the drawings, but... just posting drawings, without at least a fic to go with them? Meh. Won't do.
So... there we are. And what does a person do in such a case?
One possibility: watching New Who. It took me a while, but I’ve finally, definitely and happily fallen for the Ninth Doctor, to the point where I now want to hug him at least once an episode, and I’m dreading the arrival of the next two season box-sets (for which I’m just about to put in the amazon order) as much as I’m pining for them. Dreading, because while I get the impression David Tennant is hugely popular, and probably for a good reason, he is so
going to have to grow on me. Is this the rumoured “you’ll never forget your first Doctor” syndrome, then? Yes, I know Rose
is still around, so there will be some familiarity at least to hang on to, but while I like
Rose (most of the time; when she’s not ranting at Mickey for him going out with someone else instead of being readily available whenever she happens to pop by – which he is,
by the way, and that makes it even worse), it’s not going to be the same, is it?
Well... Just one episode left to watch. The last episode of the very last disk… which means This Is The Night I Am Going To ( this isn't really a spoiler to anyone, is it? )
Something inside me is already itching to write New Who fic. (In any case, I’m itching to write anything else than B5 for a change, because the longer I stay in that fandom, the harder it’ll be to switch. And I can hardly keep writing nothing but Londo/G’Kar & Vir for the rest of my days… Or can I? *blinks*) Only: I have no idea how or what or why to write so I won’t wreck four decades of canon, plus, Nine seems devilishly hard to get right to me. And I’ve yet to find any existing fic that resembles what I’d like
to write. Yesterday I did a quick search for New Who fics, and found only cartloads of Ten stories, Nine/Rose shippiness, and R-rated things like Nine/Jack/Rose/TARDIS, which I was brave enough to try but gave up rather quickly. Also, “doctor who” is a hellish thing to Google: I only found something relevant after I started adding “rose” or “jack harkness” – which is probably what got me to the R-rated stuff in the first place.
So, a question to the universe: Can someone recommend some good Nine Era fic that is not
either Doctor/Rose (don’t get me wrong, I like seeing him and Rose interact, but – in a romantic way? Nope. Sorry. Don’t see it.) or Doctor/Jack? Friendship fics with either combination would be great; ensemble fic even better; and anyone who can give me an angsty fic from Nine's POV that does a believable characterization of him, I will worship till the end of my days.
Secondly: Anybody heard of any good ficathons recently? Preferably prompt/claim based (as compared to the ones where they just give you an assignment) since that seems better for the nerves. Writing some good old Trek (ah – old love…) might be nice for a change. And of course, anything B5-related still goes!